Reposted from the Hoax blog. Rachel & Sari need contributors for this issue, so get to it!
the topic of hoax #6 will be feminisms & COMMUNICATION!!!
potential ideas for material include, but are not limited to:
- how we utilize the various creative mediums to express ourselves: ie art/music/playwriting/dance/zines etc.
- language: terminology / identifications / labels / who is allowed to use certain terms / reclamation
- media: various types / their historical & cultural relevancy / effectiveness for social change / the decline of print media / online activism & social justice movements
- visibility: how we choose to communicate our identities (verbally and non verbally) / how different communication styles “out” us / secrecy / how we talk & to whom / where do you draw the line in sharing certain information (online, at yr job etc.)
- non-verbal communication: how we “read” and then judge others / body politics & gendered expressions (“passing” and “body work”)
- consent: expressed vs. body language / legacy of shitty health class information / talking about queer and/or non-normative sex
- silence: when not to speak / boundaries
- relationships: communicating different with various friends, partners, family members, strangers etc.
- emotion: how it gets intertwined with communication & makes it more or less effective / intensity & whether it will hinder someone’s account as being believable (“too angry” “hysterical”)
- disagreements: how do and should we communicate our ideas to those who disagree with us? / “tone arguments” / should a person with a marginalized identity have to “play nice” when talking to somebody who has privilege over them? / “call outs” & accountability processes / expressing hate & anger
- the self: self-care / where the self ends & community begins / expressing yr needs / creating & sustaining personal boundaries
- accessibility: geographic accessibility / accessibility to language / pretension / the “academic industrial complex”
- networking: action / teamwork / friendships
- space: physical / emotional
- legislation: policy / community organizing / the importance of local action
we also totally need lots of artwork (photos, collages, illustrations, drawings, paintings, comics, etc.)! particularly for background designs and things that compliment the written material.
please aim to submit yr amazing material to firstname.lastname@example.org by october 1st, 2011. if you are interested, feel free to e-mail us yr ideas for topics & artwork! while we are not totally inflexible with the submission date, we are also not in a position where we can continually push it back like we have with previous issues. the sooner you send us yr work, the better!people of all genders are welcome to submit!
it’s been nearly two and a half years since we first began working on hoax. neither of us can believe how much this project has expanded since then! thank you so much to every contributor, reader, & supporter of this zine!
we are looking forward to seeing yr work!
sari & rachel