As many readers may know, April marks Sexual Assault Awareness Month. One of the ways that folks can contribute to this awareness month is to attend or participate in this year’s annual Brooklyn SAYSO! (Sexual Assault Yearly Speakout). A friend of the For the Birds Collective recently passed along this announcement about SAYSO:
The Safe Horizon Brooklyn Community Program is proud to present Brooklyn’s third annual SAYSO! (Sexual Assault Yearly Speak Out!). SAYSO! is dedicated to promoting healing and raising awareness about sexual assault and New York City’s specialized rape crisis services. SAYSO! will feature speeches from survivors and allies along with diverse music and spoken word performances. Simultaneous healing activities will be offered such as yoga, participatory art and self-defense classes. The Speak Out will take place on April 17th from 4:00pm to 6:00 pm in Cadman Plaza outside Brooklyn Borough Hall.
You can help ensure the success of SAYSO! this year in the following ways:
· Speak – share about how sexual violence has affected you and/or your community
· Perform – dance, read a poem, play music, sing, etc.
· Recruit your friends, family or peers to speak, perform or attend
· Volunteer to help set up and clean up for the event.
· Spread the word – post our flier at your workplace or on your website or social media outlets.
· Donate – If your workplace or business has goods or services that can be donated for raffle prizes, please contact us!
We welcome your suggestions and contributions for this exciting event! Please feel free to contact Jessica LaHood at (718) 834-6688 ext. 27 or Jessica.LaHood@safehorizon.org